Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mislead by Universities?

I can't help but ponder lately, if certain colleges and programs are worth the cost. If you attend the University of Cincinnati, a public school with some exceptional programs you are paying an in-state tuition of about $9,500 per year. Adding that up for four years without living and other expenses, that totals $40,000.
I have always wondered since my first day here, is vocational school a better option. Plumbers, pipe fitters, machinists, mechanics, and other trade oriented jobs seem to be in demand even when the economy is slow and pay solid starting salaries. (Plumbers are at $45,000 avg. according to Payscale.)
My point is, should highschools be more prone to seeking out potential trade schools for students, should parents realize loans can literally put great stress on young men and women at 18 years old?
As a college student, I have found many things I love about a University atmosphere, especially fellow students and interacting with them. But again, I will always wonder if this endeavor was worth the money as I watch many of my fellow classmates have a harder time finding jobs in a slow economy and as I myself become less certain a college degree is needed is certain fields.

Maybe I feel like like Ben Franklin when he said:
"Reflected in my Mind on the extream Folly of those Parents, who, blind to their Childrens Dulness, and insensible of the Solidity of their Skulls, because they think their Purses can afford it, will needs send them to the Temple of Learning, where, for want of a suitable Genius, they learn little more than how to carry themselves handsomely, and enter a Room genteely, (which might as well be acquir’d at a Dancing-School,) and from whence they return, after Abundance of Trouble and Charge, as great Blockheads as ever, only more proud and self-conceited."

I am afraid of being that self-conceited Blockhead. Obviously certain fields to not pertain to this argument, (i.e. Doctor, Lawyer). You can also get much more in depth when people chose more expensive out of state schools running up huge bills. UC is much more affordable than Dayton or Boston College, and none of the three are Ivy League, why would you attend Dayton U?

2 comments:

Mr. Jones said...

There are many progams like you have stateted that in my opinion require a four year or more degree. What I don't understand is the entire liberal arts concept of learn. The "Well Rounded" student. If I am going to college in the Field of History there is no reason why I need to take so many classes that have nothing to do with my major.

Poor Richard said...

Understood, the only reason I can vouch for well-rounded is to meet poeple. I.E. if I am a history major and only had to take History classes, all I would meet is people like myself, and probably mostly males. Liberal Arts allows the student of the, "Dancing School," to dance or meet many individuals not all like minded, not all like gendered.