Friday, August 1, 2008

Van Gogh, Map Dots and Stars

"For my own part, I declare I know nothing whatever about it. But to look at the stars always makes me dream, as simply as I dream over the black dots of a map representing towns and villages. Why, I ask myself, should the shining dots of the sky not be as accessible as the black dots on the map of France? If we take the train to get to Tarascon or Rouen, we take death to reach a star. One thing undoubtedly true in this reasoning is this: that while we are alive we cannot get to a star, any more than when we are dead we can take the train." ~ Van Gogh

Van Gogh wrote this in a note to his brother, the thought stemming from his painting, Starry Night

I teetered upon this quote the other day. Very interesting, as lately I have seen maps and dreamt of visting towns and villages across the country. Interesting Van Gogh had the same feeling gazing at the night sky and related it to life and death.

1 comment:

Mr. Jones said...

Wow, great quote it really makes you think about things.