Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Can you classify yourself?

Lately I have ran into different views on many people's beliefs as to thier heritage. Mainly, younger generations whose parents may have come from another country, China, Africa, Germany, Mexico, etc. and these younger generations call themselves of that country their parents came from.
What I wonder is this, many claim they are proud of their heritage, whether it be Mexican-American, Italian-American, or African-American, however there are 2 similarities in all those that claim this pride, American being in thier heritage, and most of them (almost all) never lived in their beloved "mother country."

The bottom line is, can I claim that I am a German-American if my grandfather came over after serving in the Kaiser's army during WWI and if I have never been to Germany? I hope not. If you are born in America, no matter what other foreign blood you have in your veins, you are one thing, an American. (why is that bad)?

Lately it seems I have come across many that see this (being just an American) as negative. If we wish to seperate ourselves from the norm (which we all do) why do we choose to look to another country to help our claim, rather than to our own name? Basically why can I not say, "I am a person, an indiviual, but when needed, I am an American." Rather than, "I am German-American." Doesn't that just put me into another social institution? Maybe we want to be special but not too special or not alone and special (unique).

Rousseau once wrote, "Good social institutions are those that know best how to strip a man of his nature, to take from him his real existence and give him one which is only relative, and to add his personality to the common unity: to the end that each individual will no longer think of himself as one, but as a part of the whole, no longer a thinking being except in the group.

2 comments:

Mr. Jones said...

This is a common thingamong most Americans. Most people say that they are proud to be an American then distinguish themselfs differently by placing themselves in different ways. Like you said most people love to place themselfs as an American and then give thier grandfathers grand fathers place of birth. It doesn't make much sense to me. I have run into some individuals mostly around St. Patricks Day who love to claim that they are Irish. And this claim is just not true. If you are born here. You are an American. If you chose to dive into other cultures by all means I believe it is a very interesting and possitive thing, But do not claim that culture as your own because of your great, great, great, grand fathers home land.

Joe Heitfeld said...

I agree with the arguement that over all else we who were born in the United States are American. And I would bet the majority of those who claim they are German-American or Irish American cant even tell you when their anscetors relocated to the United States. But even with their ignorance, I dont see any porblem with someone being proud of their family history and celebrating it with holidays like St. Patricks Day or Cinco de Mayo. As long as those who were born in the United States are proud of being Amercian and understand that they are an American over all else. I also think that most people are caught up in the allure of Europe and everything it offers, which is why so many from the States travel there, and that they want to have some connection to it so they claim to be German, French, or Italian.