Friday, July 4, 2008

A Satire for the Greatest Day America has to Celebrate

Yesterday I went for a walk and as usual went through my political hatreds in my thoughts. Thinking of our president and our possible future presidents and the likenesses they share, is what the majority of our nation would classify as poor leadership. I thought of all the Senators and Representatives of all 50 States and all the graft that goes on between them. As I thunk in the state of misery, I became tired and fell asleep under a tree of knowledge. As I dozed off I began to wonder, wouldn’t it be more fitting to live under a dictator or supreme king to settle all this ignorant debate between Democrat and Republican?
Suddenly I was in a foreign place and year, 232 years prior to today. It was July 3rd and I continued my walk. Obviously my attire was strange and many stopped me saying I was improper, but that’s beside the point. As I wondered, I asked someone about our founding fathers as I have studied a bit of history and knew some of them were alive at this time. Quickly I was told to close my mouth less I wanted to be hanged for treason.
“Treason against whom”, I asked?
“Why King George III, whom we must never disobey or talk unreasonably about,” was the answer.
Well, I said, I may be in the right place, since I was just wondering how nice it would be to live in a place without hearing so much political complaining. Deciding I was bored I went for a book and tea. Low and behold the taxes on such items were ridiculous and in looking for a controversial book, I was told I was very ignorant in asking for such a title, as it was not fitting in the English empire.
Then a fellow overhearing my inquiry with the storekeeper asked if I would like to come with him to a meeting of fellow intellectuals. Knowing I would be the most inept and moronic person attending, I saw it as a learning opportunity.
The following day, I was in a room with some very interesting fellows, all united under a cause with a passion I had never before seen. Talking about and refusing the Intolerable and Townshend Acts they were writing something with such power, such passion, I doubted the world had ever seen something of the sort.
I met many men at this meeting, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Livingston, Roger Sherman, Robert Paine from Massachusetts, Elbridge Gerry, Josiah Bartlett, Abraham Clark, George Reed, Charles Carol, Francis Lewis, and many others that I have never heard of in the history books. Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin were much too busy, but everyone united under this cause of what would have been called treason by King George III.
I was suddenly awaken and could not figure out where I had been, but the day was July 4th, and I felt something special. I stumbled upon a Declaration called that of Independence for the new sovereign United States of America. I realized all that complaining and whining over politics was a freedom I took for granted and that freedom and the ability to acquire more freedom when a tyrant tries to steer a people maliciously is the greatest thing about this great nation. Freedom to read, study, and say anything we wish, is the most beautiful thing in the world. Take a chance to love that freedom with positive thoughts today on Independence Day

1 comment:

Mr. Jones said...

Wow, Great story. I myself have had the same thoughts in times of my life. "Man, I can not believe I am sitting in this bar having this same stupid debate that I had with another guy the night before." I myself have taken these rights for granted and most people do. It would seem its time to open our eyes a little more.